real laser-based MIDI
Controller ( beyond the mere
Geometry, patent pending. Measured data are:
- Direction vector (up to 3 parameters
according to version).
- Speed (one must exceed Mach 0.85 to
possibly lose a beat with a Ø
6 mm rod)
- Longitudinal crossing position
length can range from a few centimetres to
several meters, (and use visible
like a laser-harp)
For example, in musical instrument mapping mode:
- A new musical gesture with control of the pitch,
dynamics and articulation
- Great for improvisation
- Excellent visibility and legibility of gesture by
- A contactless play but by manipulating an object,
a baton (or a broomstick, or a rope, or a led foam
stick, or ... nothing, just fingers).
- A really intuitive use...
- We are facing a real object that can be
positioned and adjusted
- A good visual feedback even with low
power lasers. Cutting laser beams with a stick
produces bright persistent spots.
- Widely customizable and configurable
- Finally, very "fun"
The smart Laser Harp
Demo with a led light stick
(musically a joke, free gesture improvisation)
Demo DJ Samples loop trigger
( Aerodynamic Daft Punk ) If the
velocity is not used for example to trigger samples, the
size and the position of passage of the object determine
the MIDI Event. Here with one finger, the flat of the hand
and a 5mm baton. The system is strictly digital, a determined
movement always produces the same effect, it is absolutely
not an analog proximity sensor (kind D-beam Roland).
Demo Drums Velocity
modulation & switch pedal for Back and Forth Note On.
Beambow split version + Bosch drill
Demo Drums Speed and
Accuracy. Beambow split version +
Bosch drill :-)
This video is a demonstration of
the technology, musically it's a bit improvised anything